The focus of the AFE Research Group is to generate knowledge and develop state-of-the-art modeling tools to advance the scientific community and support policies that enable better understanding and management of global and regional agriculture, forestry, and natural land ecosystems. Therefore, they are looking for a Research Scholar in environmental data science in Laxenburg, Austria
The basis for improved assessment and management of natural resources is a deep understanding of complex and interacting biophysical processes within terrestrial ecosystems. AFE aims to achieve a leading position in addressing research questions requiring integrated analyses of agriculture, forestry, and natural land ecosystems at global and regional levels.
Main tasks and Responsebilities:
- Develop (hybrid) crop model emulators based on a biophysical cropping systems model in combination with observations from heterogeneous sources, using state-of-the-art machine-learning algorithms.
- Produce predictions of crop yields, soil organic carbon and other agro-environmental variables, employing the emulators across a variety of datasets for climate, soil, and management specifications.
- Evaluate scenarios and option spaces for cropping systems adaptation.
- Publish relevant results in peer-reviewed journals and participate in scientific conferences and workshops.
- Publish code and data in open repositories.
- Contribute to project deliverables and report.
A PhD or Master’s degree (or equivalent) in mathematics, environmental science or policy, or a related discipline is required. Applications can be handed in until the position is filled.
For further information, you can use this link.